Saturday, October 17, 2015

Building a Chesapeake Light Craft Northeaster Dory -- Days 14 and 15

Yesterday was a cycling day, but I did work hard on the second spar, planing it into shape and then sanding it with 80-grit paper. It doesn't sound like much, but I had done such a poor job of cutting the basic shape with my circular saw that those simple tasks took much of the morning. Still, I do have a suitable spar at this point!

This morning I first worked on the mast. In this case my circular saw trimming was fairly accurate, but there were still some rough spots and saw marks. I first tried to use the plane to smooth them out. No luck. (I need to figure out how to "tune up" my plane.) So I then went after them with the belt sander using 80-grit paper. It took a long time and created a huge dust storm, but in the end I had a suitable first pass at a mast.



After lunch Sue and I spent a couple of hours gluing on the second set of rails and then cleaning up as much slop as possible. This completes the major components of the hull. From now on I'll be adding the secondary features (thwarts, mast step, daggerboard well, oar locks, etc.) and trying to create a smoothly sanded and beautiful boat.


No comments:

Post a Comment