Monday, May 30, 2016

Breakfast at the Pond Cafe -- Sushi or Frog Legs?

A barred owl awaiting his breakfast. Click to embiggen.
During the past year a barred owl has taken up residence near our cabin and has discovered that the goldfish and frogs in my pond make perfect snacks.

My first close encounter with this owl came last November. I was walking up from the beach and I passed next to a large oak tree with a hollow core. Perched within the hollow, this owl was almost nose to nose with me. We both stared in wonder for several long seconds. Then I started fumbling for my phone, hoping to snap a close-up photo. By the time I was armed and ready, the owl had flapped up onto a nearby branch. The photo I took was a little more distant, but still recognizably owlish.
My first snapshot of the barred owl
Then in early spring Sue saw it swoop down over the pond and snatch a frog from the water which it gleefully devoured right before her eyes.
The dead frog is just visible on the ground beneath the owl's beak
Finally, this week the barred owl remained perched on a persimmon branch for a good, long time while waiting for breakfast to be served. I was able to set up my 4" telescope and take the picture with which I opened this blog. But you can't watch an owl from a distance of fifteen feet without also having the owl watch you.
Who?
The owl's patience was eventually rewarded with another breakfast of frog legs.

1 comment:

  1. That photo is FANTASTIC!!! We have owls here, but I haven't been able to get a good photo. You have an incredible one here! Wow!

    ReplyDelete