Monday, April 13, 2015

Baked Toad Eggs and Other Observations

This has been a wet spring, and unlike last year when I never heard Spring Peepers at my pond, this year they have been a reliable presence for the past month. Frustratingly, I have not yet been able to photograph one. I have stood right among them, listening to their deafening calls, but I just couldn't SEE them! I did, however, capture some Spring Peeper tadpoles from an ephemeral pool. They are now in a pickle jar on the deck, developing nicely.

Here are two photos of very young Spring Peeper tadpoles:

As it happens, we have had a little streak of dry weather and the ephemeral pools are drying up. This is what happens when frogs and toads don't have access to hydrology reports and good long-term weather forecasts:

Baked Frogs Eggs
Baked Toad Eggs
Frogs and toads are not, however, easily daunted by adversity. It is a pleasure to watch them merrily continue their courting and frolicking:





No comments:

Post a Comment