Thursday, April 30, 2009

On the Value of Low Expectations


This spring I had set myself a goal of getting a bit more involved with the "Rhythm Riders," a group of cycling enthusiasts from the Mountain Home area. Back in mid-winter about thirty cyclists and their spouses had met at the home of one of the ringleaders to plot out some preliminary goals for the nascent group. Two activities were discussed: first a 2-3 day training camp in the spring, and then the Tour de Hills, a 58-mile race in Harrison, popularly known as the Jasper Disaster. I decided to get myself in good enough shape to take a crack at each.

The training camp was initially planned as a 3-day 180-mile endurance test in the third week of April. I rode hard in March and early April, culminating with three consecutive 32-mile rides in the week before the camp, but I didn't feel too confident about my fitness, since my 96 miles in three days was little more than half of what Erick planned for the group to do in the same time, so I was secretly pleased when the first day of the camp was cancelled because of rain. One-hundred thirty miles in two days was still apt to be a challenge, but I knew I had survived 150 miles in two days last October so I had hope.

On the first day of the ride, there was a strong wind from the west and, sadly, our route took us west before finally heading south. Six riders started--three men, three women. By the end of the day, the lead group was down to Erick and me--and I was there only because Erick did not especially want to drop me. The rain, which had threatened all afternoon, finally began to fall, and I was quite chilled for the final five miles of the 70-mile ride to Buffalo Point. Our lodgings for the night were somewhat run-down, but serviceable with accommodations for up to 12 people. After a shower, a beer, a glass of wine, some food, and some conversation, I did my best to rest up for day-two on a rock-hard mattress. I might have been better off in my hammock (I had brought my camping gear) except that the weather had turned blustery and cold.

The ride on the second day took us east on Highway 14 with two big climbs up from the river basins before heading north back toward Mountain Home on Push Mountain Road. Only Erick, Dennis, and I suited up for the second day since Laurie and Vivian had other plans and Karla was relegated to driving the support vehicle. We were joined by one other rider who was so fast that I barely got to know his name before he was out of sight for the rest of the day. Once again, Erick and I rode together part of the time and were never far apart until the half-way point when my Achilles tendon started aching and I dropped off the pace.

I survived the day and enjoyed the 132-mile challenge (with over 10,000 feet of climbing), but I may have paid a high price. The training camp ended on Monday. On Wednesday I took my normal 31-mile ride and found myself completely drained for 24 hours afterwards. I took Thursday and Friday off and then headed to Harrison bright and early Saturday morning for my first official road-bike race--the Tour de Hills, popularly known as the Jasper Disaster.

The route leaves Harrison in a series of rolling hills for about 14 miles. Then the fun begins with a 1.2 mile climb at about 6% grade (tough, but bearable for fit cyclists). Five miles further on there is a 3 mile climb at 7.5%. And finally about ten miles after that suffer-fest comes the "piece de resistance," a 4-mile climb at about 8%. That climb is hard enough to make a sane man weep, but I really thought the climbs were easier than the descents.

Streaking down a twisting mountain road at up to 40 miles per hour with only two half-square-inch patches of rubber to keep you from pitching over the guard-rail off the side of a cliff is fun for some. For me, not so much. And for two poor unfortunates, it meant a trip to the hospital in an ambulance to deal with their broken collar bones.

To sum it up, I'm pleased that I survived. My only ailment is a strained Achilles tendon that I hope has been healing up all this week while my road bike collects dust hanging on the wall. I didn't win anything except the nice tee-shirt given to all entrants, but I also didn't break anything.

(NOTE: Clicking on the route map above will bring up a detailed topo map of most of the Jasper Disaster race course.)

No comments:

Post a Comment