Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Chesapeake Light Craft Northeaster Dory -- Launching the "Susan Lee"

Today was the big day, the first launch of our CLC Northeaster Dory, the "Susan Lee." Everything went extremely well. The boat rows like a dream; it coasts along almost effortlessly at 3 - 3.5 mph. As a tandem rowboat, it is no trouble at all to get it up to 4.5 mph.

Sue was a little nervous about sailing it in December, but I was pretty confident and was delighted at the ease with which I could step the mast while out on the water. The light breeze was just what I wanted for a first sail. The boat moves well and points well. Coming about was a bit of a challenge in the light wind, but I quickly got the hang of that, too.

I still have a fair amount of finishing work to do on the boat, but it will only become more beautiful as I sand it even smoother and apply the varnish. The varnishing must wait for warmer weather, so in the meantime I intend to enjoy my gorgeous boat just the way it is!

Easily launched without even getting the wheel hubs wet!
Nautical me
Skimming the water
Standing and Stepping
Sailing Reflections

2 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!! You've made something that is very beautiful and I'm sure you will both have much enjoyment in it. When we come up I'll take pictures of you both out there (from terra firma!).
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is gorgeous. However, I don't think I can really count it until I see it in deep swells, you wearing your sou'wester...

    Norman

    ReplyDelete