Sunday, November 11, 2012

Cabin Building Update--11/11/12

Two weeks ago Jim, Terry, and I had just finished installing the sub-floor, as well as straightening and bracing the main posts. The next task was to install the 2x12 roof beams. In the first picture below, Terry and Jim are lifting the final beam into place while I bend down to retrieve the nail gun. The subsequent picture almost completely hides me as I shoot the nails into the lower end of that beam.



The next several days were spent putting up 4x4 cross beams and then nailing down the first of the car siding that will be exposed as the ceiling of the addition. Most of these tasks go somewhat slowly since each board has to be inspected for cleanliness, and many must be spot sanded or washed. In this kind of construction much of the finish work takes place during stages of construction that would be considered "rough" work in standard construction.


The picture below shows me trimming the square edge around the whole perimeter of the roof. Note the thick coating of saw dust on my jeans and arms.


Finally, the roof has been topped off! Terry is captured in this snapshot admiring the expanse of the roof decking. Even from the top of the roof it is an impressive sight. From below the exposed beams and knotty pine boards are truly beautiful--as least to one who loves the varied appearance of unstained and unpainted wood!


I conclude with a series of snapshots showing the current state of the construction site.




1 comment:

  1. Looks good! Seems like it's coming along so smoothly...at least from this point of view. I like that you are able to do some of the finish work as you go along. Makes those last stages less tedious, I hope.

    ReplyDelete