Saturday, June 13, 2009

Days Two and Three on the Eee PC

It's easy for me to get addicted to this computer. The small keyboard is almost exactly like the one I had on the Misubishi CN1, so I don't have too much trouble getting reacquainted with it. The "Easy" Xandros interface has it limitations, but I love how quickly it boots and how easily it does all the things I really need a computer to do--web browsing, word processing, spreadsheet, ebook reader, xbridge, and a few tasks with the terminal window. During the past two days I worked up my nerve enough to download SublimePorte's Launcher Tools and install them so that I could customize the Easy interface a bit more to my liking. I created desktop icons to launch xcbridge, konqueror (a browser/file manager), FBReader (for ebooks), kate (a text editor), and kstars (a wonderful planetarium program). I also changed my default terminal to konsole. Except for xcbridge and FBReader, the relevant software was already part of the basic Xandros installation. I may still decide to install xmms for music, though the mplayer already on the system is probably all that I really need.

The bottom line is the little Eee 900 continues to meet and exceed my needs--so much so that I am already using it as my primary computer. The Acer laptop sits unmolested unless I need its DVD R/W capabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment